Sunday, June 5

Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

Continuing on with the breakfast theme... more than a month later... I want to share a wonderful recipe with you all. I've made these about 4 times now and each time they are absolutely delicious. I had an intense craving for apples and cinnamon in a pancake about a month ago. It's funny because I used to hate cinnamon, but now I love it! I googled "whole wheat apple cinnamon pancakes" and this is the recipe I found on food.com. Below is a version of the recipe with my tweaks. Enjoy!!

Don't mind my veggie bacon :)


Whole Wheat Cinnamon Apple Pancakes
Serves 6


2 cups whole wheat flour (I recommend King Arthur
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½  teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups nonfat milk (I used almond milk, I don’t drink cow’s milk)
2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium apple, grated (I used granny smith)

1.       1. Combine dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl. Whisk through to get rid of lumps.
2.       2. Combine ingredients egg through apple in a medium sized bowl. Mix thoroughly.
3.       3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Let batter sit for 5-7 minutes.
4.      4.  Heat a large nonstick pan over medium to medium-high heat.  The pan is hot enough when water sprinkled on it scatters and disappears within seconds. When the pan is hot enough, spray a scant amount of nonstick cooking spray.
5.       5. Pour batter onto the griddle using a 1/3 cup measure. Tilt the pan around to evenly spread batter. When bubbles start to form around the edges, the pancakes are ready to flip (about 4 minutes). Flip and cook on the other side for about 3 minutes or until the pancake has reached a desired color.
6.       6. Serve with maple syrup or a sprinkling of powdered sugar and cinnamon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment