Wednesday, November 10

pre-thanksgiving

Since I'm not going home this Thanksgiving, I decided to host it here at my house and have my mom's side of the family over. Just so you know, I'd eat desserts for dinner everyday if I could. I've had Sunny Anderson's Hazelnut Pumpkin Pie recipe - which was surprisingly simple - sitting in my bookmarks for a year so I thought it was time to finally make it. I tried it out last night to see what it actually tastes like as I've tried to create a taste in my mouth every time I reread the recipe.  The filling was creamy and slightly tangy, and the crust was the best part of the pie. Graham crackers with a stick of melted butter? What could be bad about that?


After praying that my oven wouldn't fault, battling it when it did, and not realizing I didn't have the heavy whipping cream the recipe called for and going to the store to get it, I finally got the pie baked. My house mate Caty was eager to try the pie though it wasn't cooled and still a little gooey in the center. Regardless, it was pretty damn good. The dollop of cinnamon whipped cream didn't hurt either. Kudos, Sunny. I'm excited to make it again to serve to my family as one of our desserts on Thanksgiving. 


Sunny Anderson's Hazelnut Pumpkin Pie
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons hazelnut creamer, divided
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese*
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
*I used whipped cream cheese because it's lighter. If you don't like the tang of cream cheese, you could probably substitute ricotta.


Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.


To make crust, mix graham crackers, sugar, 1 tablespoon of hazelnut creamer and butter until combined. Press into a 9 to 10-inch spring form or cake pan making sure to press mixture up the sides and bottom as well, set aside.
For filling, in a large bowl mix in order cream cheese, brown sugar, eggs 1 by 1 and pumpkin puree. In a small cup stir remaining 2 tablespoons of hazelnut creamer, allspice and salt into heavy cream. Pour heavy cream mixture into pumpkin mixture and blend until combined. Pour into crust and bake for 45 minutes or until the center sets. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refridgerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment