Wednesday, December 1

Burger'in it up

On the corner of Bay and Mission in Santa Cruz sits a restaurant bluntly named Burger. Every time we drive past it, we'd say "We really gotta try it one day" and last night was the night. While sitting in the library (not) finishing up an essay that was due three days prior, it hit me that I was craving a burger. By burger I mean veggie burger, as I've been pescetarian since March. Well, to be fair I actually was craving a turkey burger but after cleaning the turkey last week there is NO way I will ever be eating that again. It was disgusting to put it lightly. Anyway, I excitedly texted Caty (one of my house mates) exclaiming that I'd die if I didn't have a burger, I suggested Jack's, another place we hadn't been to that has some buzz around town. She quickly corrected me, letting me know that that night was a Burger night... and that it was.

Maybe our expectations were just too high, or maybe the food actually just wasn't that great but I was pretty disappointed. Kudos to Burger for having a housemade veggie burger patty (some kind of black bean thing that was fairly solid, but not trying to imitate meat which is key in my book). I got the Mike D which was the veggie patty, and jack cheese, and your normal burger fixins like lettuce and tomato. Every burger there comes with either sweet potato fries or shoe string fries. I got the sp's and caty got the shoestrings. I'm a huge fan of sweet potato fries and these are some of the best I've ever had. Perfectly crispy, not greasy, sweet and crunchy. Yum. The shoe string fries were delicious as well. The burgers on the other hand were not terrible by any means, but they just weren't that great- especially for a place named after the food itself. I felt like mine lacked the ease that a burger should have, it's casual food it shouldn't feel forced. The patty tasted good but th texture was a little rubbery, the buns were a little dry, and the lettuce was iceberg which is a no-no.

I have to hand it to Burger, though, for being very creative. The Snooki- a chili burger between two grilled cheese sandwiches. The Luther- classic burger with american cheese between two glazed donut buns. Beer shakes and truffled fries? Sounds good to me. Overall? B-

No comments:

Post a Comment